Looking for accommodation in Mirissa, Sri Lanka? Check out JJ's Hostel Mirissa. We are an award winning boutique hostel in the centre of Mirissa offering a little luxury and exceptional value. Visit our page to discover more about us, Mirissa and the South Coast of Sri Lanka.

Wednesday 13 November 2013

Back in Bangka..............Nomad Divers, Sulawesi, Indonesia

I've discussed Nomad and Bangka in detail in a previous post. So when I went back it was still the fantastic place a remembered from only a few months earlier. The major difference this time was that there were a few more people staying (some I had recommended) and my camera wasn't working. Really f'ing annoying!!.....about the camera that is. The idea was to have a rather relaxing final week to my world journey with a few dives thrown in here and there. Well it certainly didn't end up being all that relaxing with a couple rather large drunken nights. It was a really fun and enjoyable week though. A few hours before I was due to depart the island another couple from Bira turned up unexpectedly. Such a shame I didn't get to spend more time with them as well.

One thing I wanted to mention was that I did another day trip to Lembeh Strait (pure muck diving) which I didn't think too much of on my first trip. Aside from a great bunch of people to dive with, the visibility was much better and we managed to find all the big drawcards.....the blue ring octopus, the hairy frogfish and the rhinopias scorpionfish! All really cool creatures to sit and admire. It was amazing day of diving. So I guess I've changed my mind about Lembeh.....worth a day trip or two.

The week included a roast pork feast, two music nights, a few too many early mornings, some quality time with the dogs, last minute tanning, one sea snake, finding the blue ring octopus once more but no dugong sighting (it was seen the day I left!). A fantastic end to my trip.

Many of the land photos are courtesy of Katharina Roster the underwater photos from Trevor Pierce. Thanks guys.

Not an enjoyable snorkel test with the local moonshine.....Georg and Dolfi (dive guide)


Somebody partying too hard

That's more like it....

The beer pipes


An award winning photo with Miss Snorkel

O-ring.....one of the three resident dogs will always keep you company

Official award photo

Katherina

Beers on the boat ride back from Lembeh

Dolfi after a hard day's work



Way too much man-love between these two


Most likely a discussion about pork....at Christmas....

The trainee dive guide




The locals performed to help celebrate Sophie and Simon's anniversary in Indonesia, me being the 100th customer, me being the first returning customer....nah, it wasn't all about me. But it was a great night.

The homemade double bass

Katharina keeping a close eye on the piggy




Surface interval in Lembeh









Rhinopias scorpionfish






Yes.....another blue ring octopus!




And the hairy frogfish!! Bingo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment