Looking for accommodation in Mirissa, Sri Lanka? Check out JJ's Hostel Mirissa. We are an award winning boutique hostel in the centre of Mirissa offering a little luxury and exceptional value. Visit our page to discover more about us, Mirissa and the South Coast of Sri Lanka.

Friday 3 August 2012

Is it wrong to visit Paris and not go to the Louvre or go up the Eiffel Tower?

I don't think so. May not have seen the Mona Lisa but so what, the Orangerie just down from the Louvre had heaps of Monets and other well known artists without the massive crowds and queues. Yes I tried to book a ticket for the Louvre online but they didn't seem to make it easy to collect the ticket (if you don't have a printer) and it was too hot to stand in line to buy them there. And did you know EU citizens get in for free.

Spending all your time inside galleries and museums in Paris is wrong in any event - that's not what Paris is about (in my opinion)....it's the bustling little squares in Montmartre with glimpsets of the city centre, the stand-offish table service that you eventually get used to, the cafes in 11e, the beautiful women and of course the food and wine. Can't say I had great wine (bit unlucky there) but I did have some good food, if not a little touristy:

*Ice-cream at Glacier Berthillon (really good), only to be trumpted by *insert name- I will find out what it was called* (brilliant!). Which reminds me, I'm now in Ghent, Belgium and I'm sure I'll post something about this town, however I walked past a place called "Australian", that makes home made Australian ice-cream - I was perplexed. Since when was Australia renown for its ice-cream? Don't we just attempt to copy other nations? The couple running the place actually looked Australian. I couldn't bring myself to ask them WTF? Business wasn't exactly booming. Here's a handy link for prospective visitors... http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/05/paris-ice-cream-1/

* Crepes – Shop around because they are pretty much all the same but prices can vary wildly. Classic nutella shouldn’t cost more than €3.00. Whack in a banana, under €4.00. Very good but Jesus, lay off the nutella. It’s too much!.
* Croissants – I never really quite worked out how the perfect croissant should be. Every Parisian has their own favourite patisserie to buy them from. Slightly crispy, yet light and fluffy on the inside. Presentation is of course important too. I have a new found liking for the re-filled croissant (jam only)… super easy, unhealthy breakfast on the go!
* Stone fruit – fark me. Unbelievable! The shite we get back home and the price we pay for it is incredible. It’s no wonder French sweets taste so good.
* Macarons – You’d probably start a riot or cause a national strike if you asked a group of locals where the best macarons were made. All I know is that Laduree on Champs Elysees makes a damn fine one. Best I’ve had by quite a ways. Sorry Adriano. And despite being located on probably the most expensive piece of real-estate in Paris, they are still cheaper than Adriano’s.
* Steak and frites – More friggin fries. Can’t get away from them. This place basically only serves steak and chips (once a local institution, seemingly now catering more for tourists). Thought it was over-rated for the price. Fine, but nothing special.
* Tarte au pistou courgette – Yeah it’s only a quiche but it was the best I’ve ever had. From a patisserie in 19e, on Av. Laumiere I believe. It's made a slightly different way with garlic, basil and olive oil.
* Banh mi thit – possibly my favourite Vietnamese food, if you are ever in Hoi An in Vietnam let me know and I will direct you to a place on the edge of the main market. Tiny little shop around the corner from the hostel I was staying in made them and although not the best I’ve had, at €3.00 each it was a nice change from European food.
* Moules et frites -
 Mussels and chips.....a brilliant combination. In the Latin Quarter. Followed by a creme brulee. Pure evil goodness.

So what did I actually do in Paris? It was over 30 degrees each day I was there and with all the buildings retaining the heat, it was quite hot and not exactly conducive to walking which is how  I prefer to see a city.
* Notre Dame - honestly, if there is a long queue, forget it. Really nothing special about it despite being the most visited sight in Paris, perhaps because it is free???
* Orangerie - small gallery near the Louvre.
* Eiffel Tower, from the park at the base. Just lie on the grass and watch the suckers walking up.
* Sacre Coeur / Montmartre - definitely go here for sunset on a nice evening and head to one of the many tiny plazas in the area afterwards for drinks.
* Run around the NE of Paris in Parc des Buttes Chaumont and down to the canals just north.
* Ile de St. Louis, the Latin Quarter and Shakespear and Company bookshop - yes, all very touristy but worth the walk.
* Champs Elysees & Arc de Triomphe - again, full of tourists but you have to do it.

July 24-28, 2012
Notre Dame
A great place for ice-cream. Tried the apricot and chocolate, both excellent....but I was introduced to an even better place later on.
Pont des Arts
Exterior of the Louvre

Monument within the grounds of the Louvre.

Fountain in the Louvre.

Part of an exhibit within Notre Dame.

Can't remember what this is called....little help please???

Sacre Coeur

View from Montemartre before sunset.

A local showing off his soccer skills....he's pretty high up there.




Local lovely who just happened to jump into my photo by accident.

Shop just behind Sacre Coeur on Rue de Mont Cenis

Local flashy restaurant in Montmartre


The oldest surviving cabaret in Paris....once visited by Picasso, Modigliani and Utrillo.

Montmartre

Montmartre


The remaining relics of windmills in Montmartre.

Amazing view from your Montmartre table over a steep set of stairs overlooking the city centre of Paris.

Restaurant in Place de Abbesses, Montmartre.

Place de Abbesses, Montmartre

Street art along the wall opposite Aux Folies bar on Rue de Belleville, 20e.
Arc de Triomphe

Notre Dame

Notre Dame


Sacre Coeur

View from top of park where I ran.

Misty shower at the end of my run.

Boche by Canal de L'Ourcq

No comments:

Post a Comment